Saturday, October 8, 2011

Ghosts of Halloween's Past

So I have been thinking about Halloween since about August, but now that we're well into October I think it's appropriate to post about it. This year, inspiration for my costume came from, well, my dog. I really liked a white rabbit dog costume at Target last year, but refrained from buying it...until after Halloween when they went on sale for 90% off! So since then I have known this year I would wear an Alice in wonderland themed costume.

My costume is mostly completed, except for a few finishing touches. Though I will wait to reveal my actual outfit until I wear it, I will tell you I am going to be the Red Queen. I looked to a lot of sources for inspiration:

First, I read the book and looked to Lewis Carroll's original vision of the Queen. 


The I looked to Hollywood for Disney and Tim Burton's versions.
Love these tights Natalie Portman is rocking.

Lastly, to the stars. I love the gold touches in Kim's costume.

Teri Hatcher captured the queen to a T. Love the card on her crown, and her daughter looks adorable as Alice.

Stay tuned for the big reveal, but if you're looking for some costume ideas, I give you my Halloweens past:


1. Hippie
This one's easy and classic. Throw on some low waist bell-bottoms, lots of beads, and a center part. And of course, tie-dye.
Cost: $5 for tie-dye kit
I thought Mackenzie's "fro" wig was hilarious.
I added some winged eyeliner, lots of bronzer, and gold shadow for a 60's look.

My bestie, Liz, and I

My friend Lei threw on ripped shorts and a flannel to go as a farmer, and isn't my friend Russell's costume hilarious!?

2. Flapper
I had a lot of fun with this outfit last year. I found this dress at the store Maybe, and it's actually a large because I was going for the loose roaring 20's style. I piled on pearls, rocked red lips and nails, and tacked some feathers to my sequin headband. Also, I don't have any shots from the back but I drew a line up the back of my hose to look like a seam. It was a cute idea, but note to any who try this: put cardboard between the hose and do this on a table...drawing while wearing will lead to sharpied legs.
Cost: $20-25 for feathers and dress.

Liz looked beautiful as a Greek Goddess. We finessed the sheet, and she added gold accessories and sandals. 

3. Rosie the Riveter
This costume is cute and easy. Pair a denim shirt with high waisted jeans or shorts. Add red lipstick and tie on a vintage scarf, and wah-lah! 
Cost: $1 for scarf from Goodwill



Happy costume making!

20 comments:

  1. Great costumes ! I like the hippy one so much cause I also happen to like 70s music :-) and it's easy to pull off, too ! Kisses

    Fashion and Cookies
    My Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I truly can't wait to see your red queen costume! <3 it sounds wonderful!

    x
    Lost in the Haze

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so fun! I did the hippie once!

    xoxo
    http://shishilovesfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. such great costumes! you're beautiful!

    stylishlynicole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, nice post! :)

    http://fehmoda.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute pics! I love halloween costumes! Follow each other?

    www.alifeinthefashionlane.blogspot.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your past outfits!! The flapper one is so so cute! Can't wait to see your costume this year!!

    xoxo Denise

    http://allthingsnew-denise.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the photos so much!:)

    New outfit post - New dress
    www.mirfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for following my blog, I am now following back ! :-) Kisses

    Fashion and Cookies
    My Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  10. can't wait to see it! i never know what to be for halloween.. i'd love some ideas!



    myblissisthisway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. cool!

    kiss
    Erika
    www.myfreechoice.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've had some great costumes! I'm sure this one will be just as great! :)

    http://the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the costumes!! You had some creative ones :D I can't wait for halloween this year hehe

    ReplyDelete
  14. fantastic costuming! It gives me a wonderful Idea for mine ^_^

    Thank you for your comment!
    Hope you'll stop by again.

    Linconnuedeindochine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm thinking about doing the queen of hearts - only make-up, though! :)

    www.sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such great costumes! Way to be creative!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate feedback of all kinds, and LOVE connecting with other bloggers.