Monday, February 17, 2014

Apartment Therapy: Pinspiration and a DIY

I officially have interior fever. I recently started a new job as an editor at the interior design magazine where I got my start. I'm constantly surrounded by images of beautiful spaces and in conversation with inspiring, artful decorators. On top of that, I've finally begun the process of looking for a place of my own. I have a sometimes good but mostly challenging trait that when I decide to do something, I like to have it done right away. In this case, that's simply not possible or practical. Instead, I've resorted to doing a little daydreaming between Craigslist housing surfing (which I've had WAY too much time to do this long weekend). 
I took to Pinterest and browsed the Home Decor section (see my favorite spaces, below). I also found this super easy Sharpie Mug DIY. All you need are white mugs (I had some on hand for a previously-abandoned project, that I got originally for $1 each at the Christmas Tree Shop) and Sharpies. I used black, pink and a metallic gold. 
1. Remove any labels and wash mugs clean (if you use Goo Gone or something to remove label residue, wash completely or the marker won't stick). 
2. Write or draw to your hearts content (if you're a better artist than me, there are a lot of cool tribal and chevron pattern ideas on Pinterest). If you mess up, wipe right away with a wet paper towel. It may take a little elbow grease, but it should come off if you act fast.
3. When you're satisfied with your design, bake your mugs on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes at 350-degrees. Let cool, and enjoy!
See my favorite pins for small spaces and apartments, below. Check out my Pinterest page for more!

19 comments:

  1. very inspirational photos
    do we follow?
    let me know
    I´ll follow you back
    kss
    new post: http://tupersonalshopperviajero.blogspot.com.es/2014/02/cap-boots-for-casual-look.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously love the mugs, so cute!
    www.kierramakayla.blogspot.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! Such a great idea for a group of friends- I'm keeping this bookmarked

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love those mugs :) they are suer cute !! xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cups are really sono nice!
    Kisses

    NEW POST

    www.angelswearheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why don't I just stop buying expensive cups and I do something more creative like this? It could be a nice gift idea too!
    Love,
    Coco
    Coco et La vie en rose
    Coco et La vie en rose on Bloglovin
    Coco et La vie en rose on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  7. These mugs are too cute! And I fell in love with the other pictures too!
    xoxo
    http://www.milanotime.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey! love your blog :) would you like to follow for a follow? just let me know on my blog heleenakk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm addicted to pinterest! Your mugs turned out great!

    xo
    www.style-wire.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Firstly, I love all those pinterest inspirations! Home decor is my fav thing to pin, I think!
    Secondly, I'm so happy I stumbled onto your blog, because I'm a fellow CT blogger! I don't know if you're part of the Northeast Blogger Network of the CT bloggers group... but I'm co-hosting a CT blogger meet up first Saturday in May. RSVP is in about 2 weeks! If you check out my blog you'll see the info a one post back. Or you can email me at butfirstcoffeeblog@gmail.com

    Glad I found you! Looking forward to reading some more!!
    Kallie @ But First Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love interior design! Those cups are so adorable, it's such a great idea to put writings on it, it's more appealing. :)

    Take care always, love Christine ~ xo
    www.chriissydollxo.com

    GOLD MONOGRAM NECKLACE INTERNATIONAL GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  12. We just moved to a new apartment last week. thanks for posting this, what a great inspiration! :)

    Xo,
    Amor GLAMOROZA.NET
    GLAMOROZA ON INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  13. These coffee mugs are so cute. And ,I love the headboard pins.

    pinkandnavystripes.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ughhh--- I have complete interior fever and I can't do much about it since our home is short term….

    That being said, I love those mugs-- they go together without being matchy-matchy! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OO, looks so cute.

    http://www.fashiondenis.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those mugs are so cute. And I love the bar cart with the chevron wall!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  17. That table with the pink base is so cute; I love that pop of color.
    (And as a side note, you have nice writing!)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate feedback of all kinds, and LOVE connecting with other bloggers.