Thursday, March 6, 2014

Cold Call

Head to Toe: Top and socks, Urban Outfitters; Jumper, Gift; Boots, Frye.

This morning, I headed into the city for a press event before making my way back to the office. Of course that begged the question of what to wear. I knew I wanted to be presentable, but also comfortable for cold walks and frigid train platforms. Settling on a sweater/jumper/boots combo with Under Armour leggings disguised as tights underneath, I felt as though I had met that challenge. But when I arrived, I felt completely over layered...Another editor at the event, for example, wore a similar tweed dress to mine but with a cap sleeve and nothing over it, sheer black tights and short booties. I was left with some serious outfit envy. Still, I've suffered many pains for fashion, but cold is just not one I can endure. I pride my blog on highlighting things real girls wear, because I am a real girl who really wears them. The outfits I post are things I wear to work or out and about on the weekends, to dinner or out with friends. While I pin many an outfit of bare-legged bloggers posing in the snow, that's not reality to me. As I pined over how cute the other editor looked, I couldn't help but think: Isn't she freezing? Maybe it's just this too-long, too-cold winter or maybe I'm just sick of wool, but I'm tired of feeling like Ralphie's little brother in A Christmas Story ("I can't put my arms down!"). Yet I refuse to shiver in the name of fashion, so I guess I'm stuck passing off Under Armour leggings as tights until spring.

Look of confusion ... Why?

8 comments:

  1. I love that dress, it's so cute!
    I totally get you with the bare legs in the snow, I freeze when I have all my layers on & taking photos!
    www.lavishingg.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you - I feature outfits on my blog that I actually wear, that are practical, and that I wear all day long (not just for short jaunts)! And that includes leggings passing for tights because it's like -20 here...still.

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you look lovely in this outfit. That dress really is quite beautiful. I wouldn't be bothered by what other people wear. I'm always glad to see people wear realistic outfits! And besides, who wants to freeze in the cold anyways? I’d love for us to keep in touch via bloglovin’ or GFC! Let me know on my blog, I’ll be sure to follow back!

    s a r t o r i a l d i n e r

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    I read your post and i appreciate your efforts. The information that you share in the above article is very nice and useful .All the things that you share with people, are very nice. Thanks for this article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwww lovely, and i love your boots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you look adorable! i totally understand your outfit envy. when i commuted into nyc from nj, i would always be all layered up and i'd get to work where girls were wearing next to nothing! i think the difference is that they probably lived in manhattan and took a cab to work (or changed when they got to the office?) i think most people would rather see wearable looks than bare legs in winter so keep doing your thing girl!

    xo,
    gabby
    www.likealittlefox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely jumper
    kss
    new post: http://tupersonalshopperviajero.blogspot.com.es/2014/03/yellow-floral-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the boots!

    http://mind-tricks.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate feedback of all kinds, and LOVE connecting with other bloggers.