Sunday, October 19, 2014

Simple DIY Halloween Costumes

For those of you who have been reading for a while, you already know how much I love Halloween. It's a no-strings holiday. No gifts, cooking or entertaining required—just the chance to act like a kid and play pretend for a night. Planning my costume is one of the highlights of my fall (mum's the word on this year's getup). But if you prefer not to spend your time (and cash) on an extravagant costume, these unique ideas are easily put together using pieces you already have in your closet, plus one or two thrifted additions.
Bonnie
Bonnie Parker's look is super easy. Wear a beige pencil skirt, sweater and pumps, and tie on a silk scarf. Finish with a beret and fake handgun. For a couple's costume, throw your Clyde in a suite and top hat (easily found at a thrift shop or costume store).

Mary Poppins
For Mary Poppins, pair a black midi skirt with a white blouse. Add a black hat and boots, a red bow tie (clip a hair bow to your collar for the same effect), and tote around your umbrella. Julie Andrews would be proud.
Snow White
This Disney classic doesn't require much to pull off. Blue top + yellow skirt + red bow = Snow White. A red apple is your key prop.
Angel
This back-to-basics costume is surprisingly refreshing. A white dress paired with glittery accessories is angel-ready. Hit the halloween shop for the wings, or check out this DIY version using coffee filters and a cereal box.
Regina George
On Halloween, we wear pink...In honor of the tenth anniversary of Mean Girls that passed this April, step out as Regina George. Don your best pink-on-pink, and if you really want to go all out, snip holes in your tank to reveal a bright bra underneath.

For even more ideas, check out my suggestions from past years (2013, 2012).

10 comments:

  1. I LOVVVVE the Snow White costume! SOOOO PERFECT! With an apple too!
    kisses
    xoThe Beckerman Girls

    www.BeckermanBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I probably won't go anywhere this year, as usual. But I still have a Willy Wonka fashion-y outfit I can wear if I do :)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely Regina George! So girly and chic!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Regina George outfit (:

    - Deniz
    www.dressedupdeniz.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    Amazing post ! :D

    Sarah, http://sarahmodeee.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these ideas! I'm obsessed with the movie Bonnie & Clyde and think that's a great outfit!

    - Sarah :)
    www.thecrownbijoux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been a huge fan of Halloween, though I suppose it's because I've never been invited to a halloween party, so for me the night consists of hanging around the house and handing out candy to the kids.

    Though I think Bonnie would be a really fun costume, especially if you had a Clyde to go with it.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate feedback of all kinds, and LOVE connecting with other bloggers.