Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Hump Day Favorites: American Pie

Head to Toe: Flannel, thrifted // Sneakers, Keds // Jeans, Gap
 
I just got back from the most deliciously relaxing Fourth of July vacation at my family's cabin in the Central-Pennsylvania mountains.  My heart is heavy to get back to work and reality tomorrow, but at least it's hump day and I'm full of fresh memories of family time, poker nights, nature, Jeep rides, and—still literally full of decadent food. One of my favorite slices of said decadence is my Grandmom's Shoo-Fly Pie, a Pennsylvania Dutch staple. The molasses-y, crumbly goodness takes me right back to those mountains. Consider yourself special, because I'm sharing her family recipe below. As for the rest of the trip, I'll let the pictures do the talking. XOXO
Shoo-Fly Pie

1) Bottom layer: 
3/4 C molasses
3/4 C boiling water
1/2 tsp baking soda
Dissolve soda in water; add molasses
2) Top layer:
1-1/2 C flour
1/4 C shortening
1/2 C brown sugar
Mix together
3) Pour about one-third of the liquid into an unbaked pie shell. Add one-third of crumbs. Alternate layers ending with the crumbs on top.

4) Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes

14 comments:

  1. That sounds so fun!! I had a nice relaxing weekend at home, ha ha. And mmmm, that pie sounds so good!
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! I must try that! Looks like a fantastic holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your outfit is perfectly patriotic! Now I'm dying for some pie :(

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your flannel shirt even more because it's red! It adds a really nice shade of colour to the outfit. Also, thanks for sharing the Shoo-Fly Pie recipe Annie! :D

    ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Looks so peaceful and relaxing. And I love the butterfly pic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these photos are so soothing! glad you had a nice holiday(:

    http://hellokuo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, thanks for sharing! xo

    www.eatlovemerry.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this flannel shirt! I also love your choice of location for photo shoot! So etherial and beautiful!

    Chelsea
    Ginger Side of Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic look :)
    http://retromaggie.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these photos and your flannel shirt!

    http://ourruins.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice photos & red tartan shirt!

    Have a lovely weekend :)
    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pictures! Xx
    Please, join my giveaway and you may win a week holiday in Turkey! :)
    www.travelera.es

    ReplyDelete
  13. Precious pictures and you look so cute!
    Happy week dear!

    SHAMELESS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate feedback of all kinds, and LOVE connecting with other bloggers.