Monday, November 9, 2015

Tight Decision

Head to Toe: Sweater, H&M // Skirt and tights, Marshall's // Oxfords, Forever 21 // Coat, thrifted

After last week's warm spell, it's finally starting to feel like November in the Northeast. I did some Marshall's shopping this past weekend to stock up on some commuter necessities (including these ultra comfy fleece-lined tights) and scored this denim skirt on the clearance rack to boot. On a particularly cold night a few weeks ago, I was out to dinner with my boyfriend when he commented on a crew of women that came in, sans tights: "Do girls ever wear tights? They must be freezing." My mom and dad--who herald from Maryland and Delaware, respectively--would attribute this to New England stubbornness, but I think there's more. I told Sean that I thought most women put off wearing tights for as long as possible since, in my opinion, most dresses and skirts look better without them (more shape, less bulk). And in New York City, bare legs are a downright status symbol. In an article for the Guardian, Jess Cartner-Morley asserts that black tights are what separates the models from the mortals (i.e., if you take the subway and can't afford a St. Barth's tan in December, tights are a matter of practicality). But the jury's still out. In a reaction to Cartner-Morley's article, Refinery 29 writer Rachel Syme defends her beloved, luxurious black tights. I guess I am on the fence...I have suffered through many a freezing Connecticut winter and am absolutely miserable if I'm too cold. I have a drawer-full of tights in every color of the rainbow that I wear all winter long, and they can absolutely look adorable (I wouldn't have shared this look with you if I didn't think so). But, there is something to opting out when it comes to really showing off a dress. I'll admit to toughing out both New Year's and my birthday (which is in late January) in bare legs. Bottom line is that this blog is about how everyday girls dress for everyday life, and going to work between November and March (let's be real, April in the Northeast) in bare legs is quite silly. But on special occasions when I can spring for a cab, you might see me pretending to be an it girl for a night (sporting a drugstore faux tan).

12 comments:

  1. I personally love tights, but I do try to wait as long as possible before I start wearing them! HAha I like how they suck me in and make my legs look better ;)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your outfit! The coat is so cute!

    http://roadesque.com
    http://ourruins.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same skirt! But mine's from Primark - now I know how to style it, thanks!

    Not Fashionable Blog
    Follow me on Instagram I will follow you back :) @valeryesearose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that backpack!
    xx Elle

    New outfit post up on:
    www.cherryblossomstreet.com - Swedish Lifestyle/Travel blogger and model in Tokyo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, thank you for your thoughtful words!

    MyLyfeMyStory

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice:) xx
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute skirt! It reminds me of one I have from American Apparel!

    xoxo
    Chanel
    Je M'appelle Chanel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute look - I am loving your coat!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love you :) I see you for a long time, I'm impressed!


    Can you follow me? I follow you :)
    If you comment my post, I will comment your five posts! :)

    http://www.sandrakopko.com/2015/11/dark-dots-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great outfit! Love the oxford! You look amazing!

    xx,
    www.mellowyellowblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great look, i love your backpack and coat <33
    http://www.lenouveaugrunge.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate feedback of all kinds, and LOVE connecting with other bloggers.